December 16, 2013

My Favorite Brown Sugar Crumble Topping

I have two more looooooong work days before I get to take some time away from my studio for the holidays. And I can hardly wait to wrap presents and bake goodies and lick batter bowls. Just this morning, the group text began between the sisters-in-law about what we're makin, fixin, and bringin. I can't wait!  When in doubt, I sign up for dessert because 1) I love to eat them, and 2) I love to make them. And this brown sugar crumble topping will turn just about anything into a scrumptious, warm treat! 

I have piled this crumble topping onto apples, cherries, blueberries, peaches, a mix of summertime berries, blackberries - you name it. In warm months, I keep fresh fruit on hand to be able to throw together with this topping for a quick sweet bite or poolside gathering, served with ice cream of course!  In cold months, I stock my freezer with tart red cherries and frozen blackberries for a warm comfort dessert with coffee. And ice cream. Because it's a sin to not to serve ice cream with baked fruity dishes. It's in the Bible, I'm pretty sure.

Not only is this brown sugar crumble topping absolutely divine, but it's so easy that anyone can do it! You likely have every single ingredient in your kitchen. And all you need is a bunch of somethin to bake below it! Like apples and cranberries perhaps...mmmm. Recipe for Apple Cranberry Crumble is tomorrow!  But for today, here's the no-fail, really-easy, super-delicious, brown-sugary-buttery, goes-on-top-of-anything topping for y'all! Plus a little peek at tomorrow's dish!


MY FAVORITE BROWN SUGAR CRUMBLE TOPPING
{makes enough for one 9x13 casserole or 2 pie dishes}

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup oats
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans/walnuts, optional
 1 cup {2 sticks} unsalted butter, room temperature

Cut butter into small pieces while it's cold. Then allow pieces to soften at room temperature. 
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. With a pastry blender or two forks, cut the butter pieces into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse crumbs.

Heap the topping over your favorite fruit filling, pressing down lightly to pack it on; then bake according to recipe directions.