January 31, 2014

nana's fresh homemade salsa

Hooray! It's the weekend! And I don't know if you've heard, but there's a big game on TV Sunday. I confess I'm most excited about the halftime show this year. Eeee!

We will be feasting in a big way. I'm fixin our favorites! And a sure-fire staple in our house is Nana's Salsa. It's an as-often-as-I-can-make-it recipe, not just a Super Bowl Sunday special. 

Nana's Salsa is rightly named because my mom has been making it for years. But I'm fairly certain that I've wandered away from the original recipe as I've made it over time. {Maybe I should call it Nana-ish Salsa.} I haven't strayed far. Maybe just a little. But that's what cooking is - making something your own! She still gets due credit for the recipe as I had not previously had a homemade salsa recipe. And it is good, y'all. This salsa recipe tastes like fresh restaurant-style salsa that we all eat by the vats-full.

We will lap up this fresh salsa this weekend while we watch the game. We'll probably eat it with chips like most regular Americans do. But this salsa is also good spooned over tacos, stirred in taco soup {wink}, dolloped on eggs, and wherever else you like to eat salsa. It's especially amazing stirred into your favorite processed cheese loaf, all melted and stirred together making a smooth, yummy queso. Mmmm. I'm going to defintely do that. Queso.

So enjoy! Have a good weekend! And go team!  

NANA'S FRESH HOMEMADE SALSA
{makes enough to fill a liter jar - about 3.5-4 cups I bet}

1 28oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, drained a little {I use San Marzano}
2 cans Rotel tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1/2-3/4 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
a handful of fresh chopped cilantro
2,3,4 or 7 jalapeno rings, seeded and chopped {jarred is fine}
Juice of one real lime
1 teaspoon white vinegar
3/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

Combine all ingredients in a blender fitted with a tight lid, and blend together til smooth. Taste as you go, adding more seasoning and heat if you desire. If you're using jarred jalapeno rings, then you can spoon a littlle juice into the salsa. I usually make mine medium-hot. 

The flavors will become stronger as the salsa refrigerates. So be aware that the heat will settle in and surprise you in a few hours when you're ready to serve it.

Store in a big glass mason jar and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.