January 06, 2014

Southern Living Skillet Pork Chops with Apples and Onions

I don't have lots and lots of time to sit and read magazines, although it's one of my favorite down-time activities! So I stockpile them for months until I finally get a slow evening to sit down and dive in. My personal favorite magazine subscriptions are Food Network, House Beautiful, Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, and, of course, Southern Living.  And the minute I laid eyes on this recipe in the January issue of SL, I knew I was going to make it. Soon. What's not to love about pork chops, apples, onions, and a mustard cream sauce with a splash of bourbon? I mean. Y'all. So the ingredients went on the shopping list, and I made this beautiful, rustic pork chop dish just a few days later. 

It is wise to follow a recipe to the T the very first time you make it, then you can tweak it and make changes using your instincts the next time. So that's what I did. And while it was delicious and flavorful, I would change just a few things next time, starting with slicing the onions and not leaving the root in tact.  It's definitely a lovely touch to keep the onions together, but I had trouble getting them to cook through. I would've preferred the onion slices to really brown and get a good dark flavor on them all over....not just on the sliced onion halves. Plus I will likely increase the amount of liquids to make the sauce because we loved the sauce so so much! And I have a few other modifications I'll make next time I make the dish....and I will be making this dish again. The sauce alone is to die for. I think I said that already. And did I mention that it was beautiful and rustic? I think I said that already too.

Get the recipe HERE from Southern Living online. Enjoy!