October 07, 2013

Welcome to Euna Mae's! Let's eat cake!


Well, I have excited butterflies because today's the day! After more than a year of dreaming of Euna Mae's, it's here! You all have encouraged me and tooted my horn.  And you've asked for a place for me to share recipes and kitchen tips with you. Let's be clear right off the bat - I'm by no means a fancy chef, I'm a pastor's wife and a mom of teenagers who is learning as I go! But I do cook some food, y'all.  I have a lot of food and a lot of love to give away.  And this blog is where I'll let y'all in on what's happening in my kitchen and around our table. So today's the day! It's Euna Mae's day!

A very important nugget to tell y'all starts with Euna Mae. She was my Grannie who lived just around the corner from me most of my life.  My cousin and I would walk barefooted up the hill to her house where she always had something baked, cold Coca-Cola in bright red cans, and lemon drops in candy dishes on every end table in her house. She was Grannie Nelson to us - Euna Mae to everyone in town. And you pronounce it "yoo-na may"...just in case you were wonderin'. 

Gosh, she had a great laugh. I can't think of her without hearing it in my head.

I invite you to meet Euna Mae HERE. She was a neat gal, y'all. I wish you all could've known her. But I've done my best to let you in on her life, to show you how she inspires me in my kitchen, and to express the imprint she left on us all.

So what better way to kick off Euna Mae's than with her very famous Lemon Glazed Cake recipe?! She made this cake for our birthdays, holidays, and just because we'd ask her to. I made it for my own birthday just this weekend, and we shared it with family and friends who ate every last crumb. The BEST part of the whole cake is the mushy cake-y soggy part under each piece that has soaked in sugary, fresh lemon glaze. For 40 years, I have dragged my fingers around the plate to make sure that goodness doesn't go to waste. It's one part elbow-grease, one part boxed cake mix! What's not to love?!

So in her honor and to celebrate the launch of Euna Mae's, here's her Lemon Glazed Cake recipe! Y'all enjoy!


EUNA MAE'S LEMON GLAZED CAKE

1 box lemon supreme cake mix
3 Tbsp flour
1 small package lemon instant pudding
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 large eggs, room temperature 

Preheat oven to 350.  With a mixer, combine the first 7 ingredients and beat until combined.  Add one egg at a time, and beat on medium for 2 minutes.  Bake for 40 minutes or so in a greased/floured 9x13 pan or bundt or til a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cake pan. Allow cake to cool about 15-20 minutes. Then drizzle with the following glaze.

2-3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/8-1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk together until smooth, adding more powdered sugar to thicken OR adding a little milk to thin it.  When you hold up a spoon and let it fall off the end of the spoon, it should fall smoothly but slowly almost like honey.