December 03, 2013

Turkey Pot Pie with Rosemary Biscuit Topping

If you still have gobs of turkey left in the fridge, raise your hand! Well, I did until last night. Having spent zillions of dollars on groceries in a 3-day period over the holiday, I decided to play my own version of "Chopped" where I scoured my fridge and pantry to see what I had left.  And I made the most delicious turkey pot pie ever! I think I might've won the whole kit and caboodle had I been on the actual show. My family looooved it. And it was so easy, y'all! Plus I didn't have to go to the grocery because I had just enough produce left over in my crisper drawer to make the hearty, flavorful 'insides'.

We eat our fair share of chicken pot pie. I'll share that recipe with ya soon. But in this turkey pot pie, I incorporated the traditional flavors of Thanksgiving into the sauce and the filling so it was a nice, alternative farewell nod to last week's feast-of-a-holiday. But it was still it's very own dish. I certainly didn't feel like leftovers. Not even on my second bowl! {insert smirky, side-smiley face}

It's AAALLL good. But maybe the best part is the bottom of the biscuit that cooks right up next to the filling so it's almost like a dumplin down there. So it's crispy and flaky on top like a biscuit should be but slowly, layer by layer, those biscuits get all soppy and dumplin-y. Sweet Moses....
 TURKEY POT PIE WITH ROSEMARY BISCUIT TOPPING
 {feeds 5 or 6 bellies}

1 small yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced very thinly
3 stalks of celery, chopped
Some peas. I had some in the freezer. Maybe a 1/2 cup.
3 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons + 3 tablespoons of butter (don't laugh. sit tight.)
2-3 fresh sage leaves, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 needle of rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
2 to 2.5 cups of chopped turkey
10-12 frozen buttermilk biscuits

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium+ heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter and saute onion, carrots, and celery until tender.  Carrots will remain firm-ish. Add sage and peas if you have them, and stir. Add 3 more tablespoons of butter and melt, stirring around the vegetables. Shake the 1/4 cup of flour around the vegetables and stir to coat, cooking for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and stir over medium+ heat until the liquid thickens a little. Stir in cream. Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and stir in chopped turkey.
In a 9x13 baker, a large cast-iron skillet, or an enameled cast-iron braiser (what I use), spoon the filling in the pan and place frozen biscuits directly on top of the filling with sides touching. Brush the tops of the biscuits liberally with the last 3 tablespoons of butter (melted), and sprinkle the tops with chopped rosemary.
Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes, checking every few minutes after to make sure the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubby like this...mmmm.